Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Pieces by Michelle Davidson Argyle


February 17, 2013

Two years after watching her kidnappers go to prison, Naomi Jensen is still in love with one of them. Jesse will be released in a few years, and Naomi knows college is the perfect distraction while she waits. But when her new friend Finn makes her question what is right and what is wrong, she begins to wonder if Jesse is the one for her...until she discovers he's out on parole. Naomi must sort through her confusion to figure out where love and freedom truly lie-in Finn, who has no connections to her past, or Jesse, who has just asked her to run away with him.

Post reading, I've tried to move on with my life. Much like Noami is trying to do in Pieces but I find it hard. I keep referring back to this book and asking why? Why did it have to be the way it was? What went on in the authors mind as she wrote it? Did she feel that this was the best way to  go? I've read others reviews and apparently people at large agree with her but it broke my heart. Left me hollow and lonely. 

I'm not saying this is a bad book. It's really not. Michelle wrote a beautiful follow up to The Breakaway. We got to see, what I would imagine, an honest view of how someone who had been kidnapped tries to move on with their life. How those people have completely ingrained themselves into Naomi's world. She talks about Evelyn's cooking with a smile. She obsesses about trying to make Eric's eggs the same was he did. But she also things about how much Eric frightened her. 

Naomi's dedication to Jesse while he's in prison, is kinda crazy to me. 2 years with absolutely no contact, and she thought it would be 5 years. And her intent is to stay faithful to him. All the love I have in the world for my husband, I sure wouldn't be able to make that commitment. lol But Jesse gets out early. He gets parole and even though she's not allowed to, she sneaks to see him. That sets in motion a whirlwind of things that leave Naomi questioning her judgement. 

I loved Naomi finally taking charge of her life. Doing what SHE needs to do for herself. 

That I found myself saying "NOOOOOOO!!!" and "Why? Why?" more then I would have liked.



1 comment: