Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Check out my review of Slammed here

July 30, 2012

Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart. 

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’

I didn't love this as much as I loved Slammed. Probably for a couple reasons. I just wanted to live in Slammed's happy ending. I didn't want new issues to come up. I felt like Lake and Will went through enough and it just broke my heart to see them struggle further. I also felt like they couldn't catch a break. 

I get that Lake had ALOT going on but with the reintroduction of Will's ex, she was pretty immature at times and that drove me crazy. She's set on insisting that they might only be together because they need each other and not that they love each other which I find crazy. I mean, they didn't need each other in the begining and they couldn't keep away from each other. I don't like it when people constantly question their happiness. 

With all that being said, I really did enjoy this book. It was nice to get more Will time. I find him to be one of my favorite male characters. He's pretty much the essence of everything a man should strive to be. 

Kiersten - Nothing has made me want to have a kid more then that little girl

 The Point of Retreat. Why did there need to be one? 

“I don’t see it that way. It’s more like she’s encouraging us to undermine a system flawed through overuse of words that are made out to be harmful, when in fact they’re just letters, mixed together like every other word. That’s all they are, mixed up letters. Like, take the word ‘butterfly’ for example. What if someone decided one day that butterfly is a cuss word  People would eventually start using the word butterfly as an insult, and to emphasize things in a negative way. The actual word doesn't mean anything. It’s the negative association people give these words that make them cuss words  So, if we all just decided to keep saying butterfly all the time, eventually people would stop caring. The shock value would subside…and it would become just another word again. Same with every other so-called bad word. If we would all just start saying them all the time, they wouldn't be bad anymore. That’s what my mom says, anyway.”  -Kiersten 


“Kiersten?” Eddie says. “Will you be my new best friend?”

Lake grabs a french fry off her plate and throws it at Eddie, hitting her in the face with it. “That’s bullshit,” Lake says.

“Oh, go butterfly yourself,” Eddie says. 


No comments:

Post a Comment