Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Review: This Girl (Slammed #3) by Colleen Hoover


Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.


In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from his point of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series



I've never been very good at reviewing a book, where it's the retelling of the same book from another POV. I always wonder if I am giving away too many spoilers, incase someone hasn't read the previous book yet. 

So if you haven't read Slammed yet, stop here. Don't read. Read Slammed. Infact, read my review of Slammed and then read Slammed. 

So This Girl was just awesome. Will and Lake are on their honeymoon, and Lake, now being secure in their relationship, starts asking Will all those questions she always wanted to know. About the first time he saw her, when he found out she was his student, what he did during their time apart. 

“I can’t remember feeling this way since… well, ever. It’s new. It’s scary. It’s exciting. It’s nerve-wracking. It’s calming. It’s every single emotion I've ever felt balled up into an intense urge to grab a hold of her and never let go.”

I absolutely loved Will's POV. I loved reading how deep his feelings for her were. He's such a beautiful man and there was such passion in everything he did. We got some extra scenes that did not take place in Slammed, and a few surprises that made the story fun and new again. 

Please read and love this story as I did.


So, oh my gosh did I love reading everything from Will's perspective. But I have to say that I didn't necessarily enjoy Lake, in the current day. She's just as immature as she was in Point of Retreat. Dramatic and childish and it drives me crazy. When she got mad at him for going on a date and kissing another woman, when they were together.. uhhh hello.. you're married to him! Get over it. 

But other then that, I just loved everything from Will's POV. I loved seeing his initial reaction to meeting her. That push and pull, thinking that he isn't ready for something but being drawn to her. I loved knowing where his head was at, almost more then hers. Mostly, I liked hearing them together. 

I was shocked to know that Gavin knew about Lake from the beginning. That he saw them in the club. Big props to Gavin for not telling Eddie. How do you keep that secret? That's some juicy stuff right there. I liked Gavin though, he seemed very mature. Understanding and encouraging Will to do the right thing. 

And one of the other shockers, was finding out that Will knew about Julia first, and then had to keep that from Lake. Knowing... waiting... that one of these days, Lake was going to find out and lose her mind. That would be so hard, every day, waiting for the shoe to drop. And then having to act like you didn't know. My heart was breaking for him as much as it was for her. 

I loved seeing the interaction between Will and Julia. The one thing this story was missing was more Kiersten. I loved that little girl when I read Point of Retreat and I really wanted more from her. I liked the little bit we did get from her, when she was explaining the purpose of a honeymoon. Cracked me up!! 

I think I will start a petition o get me some more Kiersten in the future.. I'd love to see her at 17. 

So how did you feel about This Girl? Did you just love it? Or was there not enough newness to make you happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment