Sunday, February 3, 2013

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley


Date Read: January 21, 2013

I've been sitting here thinking whether or not 2 1/2 stars is a truly fair rating, but I've decided that for me, it is. There is a lot to like about this book but the stuff that I didn't enjoy or didn't understand was enough to almost ruin my experience. 

Terra is a beautiful girl. The kind of girl that makes you take a hit to your self esteem, except for one flaw. A giant birth mark on her face. She spends tons of money and time covering this up. For years as a kid, she tried surgery after surgery until her dad finally put his foot down and said "no more!" Her dad does that  alot. Put his foot down. He's pretty much a miserable human being and puts her and her mom down constantly. Some of the comments he would make towards her mom were... just cringe worthy. I didn't like even reading them. 

Terra's dad is a map maker or something. Maps and charts really make up a big chunk of this book and I don't quite understand any of what they are talking about when they are on this subject. And it really made the book drag for me. But perhaps I'm slow and that's okay. Maybe you'll enjoy it and find it intriguing. 

Anyway, back to the story. Terra meets a guy named Jacob, who is like this ball of sunshiney goth. Strange right? Well Jacob's a little strange, quirky more like it. I really enjoyed it. He really opens up Terra to appreciate who she is, not who she wants to be. 

This wasn't a bad book, at all. There was just a lot that wasn't for me but if you changed the story a little bit, I would have absolutely loved it. I loved Terra and Jacobs relationship. I loved watching people start to take charge of their life. There was just too much stuff that I didn't enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment